Saturday, December 1, 2012

Pump Break Reflections

It looks like Roo is staying with MDI (multiple daily injections).  Who would have thought?  Not me.  I threw out the idea of slapping in a pump site over the holiday just for meal boluses and snacking.  She thought that was a good idea but even opted out of that when the day came.  It partially has to do with her entire Thanksgiving meal consisting of mashed potatoes and pie, so not a lot a snacking.

Here are my reflections so far:
  • I love that there is Lantus swimming through her at all times. 
    • I have realized I think about a disruption of insulin more than I thought I did when they are pumping.
  • I miss the pump tracking insulin on board
    • mostly checking at ~2.5 hours when fighting a high to keep the insulin flowing without having to solve an advanced math problem.  (really need to find an app for this)
  • I miss temp basals!
  • Have had to relearn post exercise lows.  Holy moly - weight training on Lantus means a snack and an addition night check for sure.
  • I suck at logging
  • I don't like that we had to go back to having a discussion to include ALL the food she might possibly want for a meal to keep it to one shot.  Second helpings are easy using a pump!
  • It was a little adjustment for Roo to carry the insulin pens.
  • When both were pumping there was no throwing out 100s of units of insulin because it was past 29/30 days. 
  • I must not forget to order more pen needles!
  • The injections are not as traumatizing to her skin as the infusion sets.
  • Roo's likin' it.
Oh, and where in the hell house do you stash a $7000 medical device? 
By the butter stamp, of course.


6 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Good ole reliable Lantus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, indeed. Still on my toes though. Last night was weight lifting and dance class. Bedtime was 220 (she is still working things out too = exercise and Gatorade) with no iob and I told her to leave it to see where it went overnight. Wake up was 125. 100 pt drop - jeez Louise!

      Delete
  2. I read this article today and thought of you. http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/12/taking-an-insulin-pump-hiatus-hey-theres-an-app-for-that.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw that too. I had actually asked Wil about RapidCalc but we don't have Apple stuff right now. Didn't know about the other one though.

      Delete
  3. Yo!

    I'm glad to hear she's doing well! Whatever works, right? And diabetes is such a different thing for all of us, we have to go with what fits best.

    Hope you all are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scotty! We are good, hope you are too and have a Happy Holidays!

      Delete